What is the process for adopting a dog?
- Fill out the Adoption Application here
- If renting written permission from your landlord must be attached
- If you live at home with family, written permission is also required and should be attached with your application
- Schedule a meet and greet appointment to meet the dog
- All persons living in the home must attend this appointment as it is important that everyone meet the dog you are planning on making your family member (as to ensure everyone likes the same animal)
- If you currently own a dog they must accompany you on this appointment
- If all goes well, a home check will be scheduled. Restricted dogs require physical fencing and sign off from the Animal Wardens. A person interested in a restricted dog will need to visit Dept of Environmental Services and complete an application form prior to their inspection.
- Upon sign off on the property, the adoption process can be completed;
- The adoption fee and paperwork will be completed at the shelter. You will be given a license transfer form which needs to be processed at the Dept. of Environmental Services.
- Proof of transfer will need to be shown to the SPCA at which time you can collect your new family member
Often asked questions:
Our current opening hours are:
11am – 4pm Tuesday to Saturday 1 -3pm Sundays
Will the animal have been seen by a vet before adoption?
Yes, they will have had a health check by a vet. All animals are also de-flead, wormed, chipped, neutered and have received at least their first vaccination.
What are adoption fees?
Our standard donation is $300 for a puppy/dog.